It's a long cane, not a STICK!


                                                  Picture description: A person standing in
                                                  a hallway holding a white and red
                                                  long cane in the left hand and brown stick
                                                  in the right hand.

As we get back into the swing of things for the new school year, a few things came to mind as I was preparing my students for the upcoming year. Our lessons included orientation to new schools, different class routes, new transportation, emergency exits and plans, as well as so much more. As I made my way to schools to work with student after student, a reoccurring theme emerged within each new school. I realized as my students with visual impairment and blindness made these new transitions, their sighted peers were doing the same. Due to visual impairments and blindness being such a low incidence population, many students with sight have never encountered a student with a visual impairment or a student who uses a long cane. From my many years of observations, the students with sight are always curious, kind, and awkward on their first encounters with a student with visual impairment or blindness. They are just simply inexperienced when it comes to interacting with a student with a visual impairment. The students with sight are unsure of what to do when they meet a student with blindness. They tend to stay quiet while passing the student or smoosh themselves against the wall to stay out of the cane traveler's way.

As a result of the observations, I decided, this year, to start conversations with my students which will hopefully break down and ease some of the barriers. I asked my students with visual impairments what they wanted others to know about their visual impairment or blindness. True honesty resounded in their responses of the most important aspects they wanted others to know. With the help of these incredible students, I have compiled a list of the top 10 items they would like others to know about visual impairments and blindness. The hope from my students and myself in sharing this information is that together we can help educate others and facilitate acceptance and understanding. As teachers, parents, and educational support staff, we can also use some of these situations to empower our students to advocate for themselves. If we help to educate staff and students that are sighted, their uncomfortable feelings ease and authentic relationships begin to form. Our students are capable and independent individuals and by assisting them in becoming self-advocates, they are able to teach and show the world their abilities. So, please use their list to start conversations and join us in sharing how education breeds acceptance.
SHARE, EDUCATE AND EMPOWER!
~Gwyn

The top 10 "need to know" tips by students with visual impairments and blindness:

1. The white and red cane identifies that I am visually impaired. This tool is called a long cane, not a stick. My cane is a tool that allows me to travel safely, efficiently and independently.
2. There are all types of blindness and visual impairments: no two impairments are the same and there are usually variations within the same condition. (Think of it as a spectrum of visual abilities for each eye condition).
3. When you see me in the hallway, let me know where you are by simply saying "hello" or "I'm on your right or passing on the left". This quickly lets me know your location.
4. Please identify yourself by name when are greeting or interacting with me. It is hard for me to remember everyone's voices all the time.
5. If it looks like I need assistance, please ask.  Do not drag or push me to a destination. If I need assistance, I will accept your offer.
6. When you are traveling in the hallways, especially at busy times, please look out for me and my long cane. I cannot see you, so, to prevent falls and crashes, please be on the lookout! I don't want either of us to get hurt.
7. Feel comfortable using words such as "look" and "see". I use those words too!
8. If I am traveling in the hall with my orientation and mobility instructor, please know I am working hard on learning a route and engaging in a long conversation can make me disoriented and
possibly cause me to lose track of my positioning. A simple "hello" is fine, but please save long conversations for later.
9. Please speak directly to me, do not use a third party to speak to me. Also, please let me know when you are leaving, I can't always tell that you have walked away.
10.  I can do anything you can do, I just might do it a little differently than you or use a tool to complete the task. I like to laugh and have fun just like you do!


More resources about what to do when you meet an individual click the following links:
DVD Movie What do you do when you see a blind person
http://www.afb.org/store/pages/ShoppingCart/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=978-0-89128-840-4
What do you do when you meet a blind person?
http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/cbvi/faq/etiquette/blind/index.html
What to do When You Meet Someone Who is Blind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFbWlOK9Wxo
Society for the Blind
http://societyfortheblind.org/when-you-meet-a-blind-person/




Comments