Solar Eclipse Isn't for the Blind...NOT, It Totally Is!


PHOTO: Total solar eclipse
Credit: Rick Fienberg / TravelQuest International / Wilderness Travel
"Solar eclipse, HA! People who are blind or visually impaired cannot experience a solar eclipse!". This is the thought many people may have in regards to visual impairments and experiencing things beyond arms reach. On the contrary, I say, "Yes they can!". Thank you to technology, people who are blind or visually impaired can experience the solar eclipse! In this blog you will find  a collection of different methods which can be used to access the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017.  If I have missed a resource (which is completely possible), please post!


Eclipse Soundscapes


American Council of the Blind RADIO
  • Audio description
  • Tune in live FREE (depending upon location)

 "Getting A Feel for Eclipse"

Now...A Word of CAUTION

PHOTO: Group of children using solar eclipse glasses
Courtesy Mark Margolis / Rainbow Symphony
Although I L-O-V-E my career , please (I beg you!) do not give me job security by exposing your retinas to the solar eclipse. As a TBVI/COMS/CVRT, I would be remiss if I did not touch upon the dangers of viewing the solar eclipse. Your retinas are a precious body part which accepts visual images and passes the images onto the optic nerves which carries the images to your visual cortex. You will damage your retinas and cause a visual impairment by looking at the solar eclipse without protection. Below I have included a post by an Optometrist, a link to NASA's safety: Eclipse 101, and a YouTube video demonstrating proper methods to view the solar eclipse. 

I hope you find these resources helpful regarding accessibility to and safety for viewing the solar eclipse. Please feel free to share this blog again and again!

Happy and SAFE Viewing!!








Comments