GOAL!

Stick figure drawing of a Goalball player
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Goalball_pictogram_%28Paralympics%29.svg/768px-Goalball_pictogram_%28Paralympics%29.svg.png

I've always loved sports, I've always played sports, and I've always loved watching sports. From the moment I understood my options for my career and life as an adult, I dreamed of becoming a teacher and a coach. I accomplished my first goal right away and now have been a teacher of students with visual impairments for 19 years. I always I thought I would coach Field hockey or Soccer, the more traditional sports, my high school and college favorites.  But, my career experiences led me in a new direction. My first opportunity to be a coach was in 2002.  I was named the Girls Goalball coach at the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind from 2002 to 2005. This coaching experience was life-changing for me. Not only did get to learn about a sport that is truly competitive and erases all boundaries for individuals with blindness, but I got to connect and lead students in a way I had never had before. I learned so much in those three years. I learned sports play such an enormous role in building character and that all students deserve to participate in a sport if they choose. Reflecting on my experience and recent articles about individuals with blindness playing sports, I wanted to share how my students felt about their experiences in sports.

Here are their words about participating in sports.

Playing a sport is:
·        FUN!  
·        competitive
·        a challenge.
·        a time they get to be with their friends.
·        a place where they feel they belong.  
·        happiness!
·        Awesome!

While I think there is much, much more to their sports experiences, their words show what matters most to them, the emotional connections of being a part a team or sport. So, let’s encourage our students to try a sport; the gains and experiences are invaluable!

I would love to hear about your students and their experiences in sports. What sports are they breaking barriers in? What adaptive sports do they participate in? How does your student feel about their sports experiences?


Below are some inspiring articles and videos that prove that athletes with blindness or visual impairments are crushing stigmas and imposed limitations in every sport!

Inspiring athlete links:

Football Player
Jake Olson

BMX Biker

Runners

Wrestler
Craig McFarlane

Hiker

Swimmer

Judo
Anthony Clarke

Resources for adapting sports for the Visually Impaired:
·        Paralympic Goalball https://www.paralympic.org/goalball












Comments