I BELIEVE in...The Power of Camp (Installment 4)

Campers & Counselors stand around Camp Abilities North Georgia banner
As I sit here on my front porch on a balmy Saturday morning, I reflect on my summer experiences. Yes, I work throughout the summer but I also slow down with the change of pace--just enough to rejuvenate for a new school year. One of the ways I both slowed down and worked is attending Camp Abilities North Georgia (CANGA). What an  INCREDIBLE experience!

I grew up attending camps all summer long when I was not spending time on my grandparents' farm. At the time, camp was something to do that did not include sitting around the house all summer. Now, I know camp was so much more! As a child, I had a ton of fun at camp while also learning new lessons which cannot be taught in school or at home and believe those experiences impacted who I am today. I also may have found myself in trouble one year for being sneaky but that is for a different post...

So what does camp do for children?

Over 3 days at CANGA I witnessed children who have visual impairments:
  • Make friends with other children walking the same path through life (living w/VI)
  • Conquer fears
  • Develop independence away from family
  • Take risks and build self-esteem
I tend to be sappy when my students obtain their goals and/or have AHA moments and may be seen tearing up ATLEAST 1-2 times per month. Volunteering at CANGA had me tearing up approximately 5 times per day for 3 days and even now when I tell stories from my experience. 

Camp away from home is incredibly important in the development of children. Camp allows children the opportunity to step out of comfort zones in a safe environment and develop new skills and relationships.

I BELIVE in...The Power of Camp as a pivotal point in the course of child's development toward independence as an adult. The child who goes away to overnight camp for the first time experiences uncertainties about being away from family overnight and given support learns that home experiences can transfer to him/her being responsible. The child who has multiple overnight experiences away from family throughout the course of his/her childhood will be ready to go to college, get job, and live on his/her own as a productive member of a community without living in the shadows of others.

So, as we move through this school year, begin wrapping your brain around allowing your child to experience a pivotal point in development. Think about next summer and how your child can get ahead and take the next step toward independence.

Some of the activities you can expect your child to participate in are:
Dance Party: Boy shows off his dance moves


Canoeing: Counselor teaches camper to paddle a canoe on a lake
Beep Kickball: Boy bends to catch auditory ball
Talent Show: Camper plays guitar and sings

Beep Kickball: Counselors use touch cues 
on campers' hands to teach positioning
Rock Climbing: 2 campers race to the top
of a rock wall
Yoga: Campers kneel w/ foreheads on ground in pose to
self-calm and find their center

 
Archery: boy stands holding bow & arrow 
ready to make a bulls eye



Paddle Boarding: Camper stands on and paddles while 
counselor swims behind
Horseback Riding: Horse nuzzles camper; camper rides horse
while counselor walks beside
Peddle Boating: Camper learns to peddle 
while counselor instructs
Goalball: Camper rolls ball


Drum Circle: Campers sit in circle and learn to drum from
professionals
Ju Jitzu: Camper takes down instructor
by using arm hold

Here's to Camp!

SB
Sarah D. Bussey

If you enjoyed this 4th installment of the "I Believe" Series, you might also enjoy:



https://visionsofblind.blogspot.com/2018/04/i-belie
vein-passion-inspiration.html



https://visionsofblind.blogspot.com/2018/06/i-believe-inworking-myself-out-of-job.html

https://visionsofblind.blogspot.com/2018/07/i-believein-making-decisions-as-if-they.html

Comments